Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Monsters University

I've never been a huge fan of sequels following fantastic original films. Mulan II was a disappointment, Cinderella apparently has 3 or 4 sequels that I simply have no interest in, the Air Bud films should have ended after 2, and the Saw movies shouldn't have even started at all. The only sequels I really enjoyed were Toy Story (2 & 3) and Lion King 2. So call me skeptical when a sequel movie is announced for any series. Especially when said sequel comes out very soon after the first or over a decade later...

But Pixar caught my eye on this one. 

 First of all, its been 12 years since Monsters, Inc. And that was one GREAT movie. I really didn't want them to mess up the legacy of the first film. I thought the original was such a touching film, with it ending in laughter as power instead of fright. Brilliance.

So, when Disney Pixar announced a sequel to Monsters, Inc, I had no idea what to expect. I was thinking, "What? Are they going to bring Boo back as a teenager or something?!" I wasn't so sure they could pull it off.

And the thing I was least expecting was a PREquel! I think that was the key to this film's success. Everybody loved where these two best friends were in Monsters, Inc., and finding out how they got there seemed to be the perfect route to take. Bravo Pixar!

I was EXTREMELY delighted to hear that Billy Crystal (Mike) and John Goodman (Sulley) would be reprising their roles. Nothing annoys me more than sequels (or prequels) with different actors. They think they're convincing when they do that, but NO.

And then they announced my man Nathan Fillion would be voicing Johnny Worthington, and I was sold. 

So here's what I thought of Monsters University! 

[[SPOILERS AHEAD]]


This little guy is the most adorable thing I've seen in my entire life. Baby Mike Wazowski totally caught my attention right off the bat at the first of the film. In Monsters, Inc., we see Mike as a very positive little guy, helping his best friend Sulley in the Scare Department. At first glance, Mike is not what you would call "scary," and it was great to see Monsters University take us to Mike's childhood and see why he is who he is as an adult. 

I also loved that I could connect with Mike on some level. When he visited the Scare Floor for the first time as a child, one of the monsters gave him his Monsters University baseball cap and from then on, all Mike could think about was going to MU and becoming a scarer. When I was younger, my parents took me to Purdue University for basketball games and such. I got t-shirts and basketballs with the college logo & set my life on a path towards Purdue (which was later changed, and all turned out for the better). Baby Mike may have been my favorite part.


More connections to my life? When Mike set foot for the first time on Monsters University campus. 

Every door was open to him and he was where he had wanted to be all his life. 

He was decked out in MU apparel (typical freshman), covering his dorm room walls with Scarer posters (mine were more of the Patrick Dempsey variety), and always ridiculously prepared for class--bunches of pencils, notebooks, all of his textbooks. 

I was totally Mike when I started college. Anything seemed possible. One building held my future, and I'd sit and stare at it between classes just like Mike. I had hands full of luggage too (however, I wonder what on earth Mike could have in all those bags when he doesn't wear any clothes...). I loved reliving my first year at college through young Mike.


Oozma Kappa. What can be said about them. They're the strangest group of misfits on campus, but also ridiculously endearing! 


They were amazing side comedy. Loved every single one of them! 

And then the big guys on campus: Roar Omega Roar. 


The meanies. BUT, I couldn't hate ROR president, Johnny Worthington, simply because he held the voice of my beloved Nathan Fillion. **sigh**

It was also great to see through ROR how Randall came to be the bad guy he is in Monsters, Inc., and why he and Sulley had such a big rivalry later in life. 

I love that they made him a little nerdy and strange, trying to fit in just like the rest of the monsters in his class. It was great to see some side characters from Monsters, Inc., wandering around in the film as well, such as crabby receptionist Roz, a young Mr. Waternoose, and the Abominable Snowman (pre-banishment). They were great hints to those who had seen and loved the original film. 

I also thoroughly enjoyed the relationship between Mike and Sulley throughout the entire film. It started off very shaky, with Mike outsmarting Sulley in the Scaring classrooms and Sulley thinking he was "all that" just because he held the Sullivan name and could do one great scare face. It was great to see a relationship between rivals becoming a relationship between friends and partners. So great! Now I know why Mike stuck with Sulley in Monsters, Inc., despite the madness surrounding Boo.


I think my favorite thing about Monsters University is that it didn't end in the stereotypical way. Sulley broke the rules, he and Mike went out into the "child's" world without permission, they scared a whole bunch of cops, and got expelled from the university. They got themselves jobs in the Monsters, Inc. mailroom and worked their way up, through janitorial service, scream can service, and other things until they made it as a team to the Scare Floor, where we see them in the first film. Great storytelling for sure! 


So, if you haven't already, run & go see it! It's totally worth it and I can't wait until it comes out on DVD! That is how a sequel should be done! Well done Pixar! 





No comments:

Post a Comment