Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Gospel According to Hercules

I am the Relief Society teacher in my LDS (Mormon) single's ward at BYU. Today's lesson was titled "The Grand Destiny of the Faithful." When I first read this chapter out of the Lorenzo Snow handbook, the first thing that came to mind was Hercules.

Yes, Hercules.


So watch this clip of one of my favorite Disney movies ever, and think about how much it relates to the gospel and what we have to look forward to after this life.


So there you have it. The connection is clear. Hercules leaves his earthly parents to go to the temple of his father to figure out who he is, where he came from, and where he is going. He dreams of a far off place where a warm welcome will be waiting for him. And every mile, is worth his (our) while.

If we continue on in this life, striving to be faithful & strong, we will be given the warm welcome of our Father in Heaven as He invites us to stay and live with Him again. I can just imagine the reception we will receive and the joy we will experience.

You CAN go the distance.

Any other Disney movies you know of that have strong gospel connections?


2 comments:

  1. YES! I love this! One that I used for a devotional in seminary MANY years ago was from the Lion King. Maybe I'll blog about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is my favorite Disney movie and now I love it even more! I have never made that Gospel connection before...really cool!
    Although these are Disney movies, they may not be what you were thinking of when you asked that question, but The Chronicles of Narnia movies have very strong Gospel connections. I cry almost every time I watch one of them!

    ReplyDelete