Friday, February 22, 2013

My Gaming Past

I am not much of a gamer. I'm terrible at pretty much everything.

But, back in the days of Super Nintendo and blowing on the games to get them to work, I was pretty awesome at one game: PAPERBOY! 


In it, you had to ride a bike down the street delivering the morning paper. You had to aim correctly and have the correct timing to be able to throw the paper on the doorstep. And then of course you had to avoid random tires that rolled out in front of you, other kids on bikes, cars, and people. And you got in big trouble if you broke someone's window with a paper...

 

 And then there was Nickelodeon Guts! Anyone remember that show or game? Good times...child gladiators! 



 As a preteen, I was gifted with a Gameboy Color. A purple one. And I loved it. My game of choice on that handheld? Mary-Kate & Ashley's Winner Circle. You got to chose which twin to race with which horse and which saddle. I, of course, always chose Mary-Kate because everyone knows she is the more athletic twin who admittedly likes riding more than Ashley does. I could play this for hours. And I did, filling many road trips with it. I still have it too! Another favorite game of the Gameboy Color? NickToons Racing! You could choose which character--from Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Wild Thornberry's, Spongebob, Angry Beavers, and CatDog. That one most definitely raised my frustration level--especially when that mean Angry Beaver always tried to pass me! 

Other than those, I was pretty good at basketball games and MarioKart/Donkey Kong, but not much else. Video games have always eventually made my eyes hurt so I never got hooked on them. Luckily neither did my brother. We were more outdoors-y, being kids of the late 80's and early 90's. But we played together often, which was great bonding time in my mind. My brother would help me get farther in Donkey Kong and be patient with me when I forgot which buttons did what.


Moving into the modern day, my roommate Jessi is the closest I get to video games. She LOVES Final Fantasy. She doesn't play terribly often, just when she needs a break. And it's actually quite fun to watch her play since the game has a strong storyline as well. A lot of people get sucked into watching her. I especially like watching her blow up the droids on Lego Star Wars.


 It's very rare to see me in front of a video game. But I do appreciate the artistry and the ability to actually know which button to press and when...


2 comments:

  1. I love the old gaming systems like Super Nintendo, just watching that video up above reminded me how fun it was to be a kid and play with such a novelty toy item. My husband said he also played the paperboy game and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Super Nintendo and Donkey Kong!!! Those were my favorite games, that and pretty much any Mario type game haha, Mario Kart is where it is at!! :)

    ReplyDelete