Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Life's a Happy Song

I love music. It has such a way of speaking to me and being able to capture my emotions perfectly. Since this is music week in media class, I thought I'd take a look at my own personal music choices.

My ambition was to right down and blog about every single song that ran through my head (even if it be only a single line) for the entire day. That plan quickly failed when I realized the enormity of that goal. I had already heard 5 songs before 8:30am--much due to my roommates radio alarm going off three or four times.

So I changed my plan to include some of my favorite tunes, looking up my iTunes playlist for "Most Played." So here goes!

Every good day begins with Duran Duran right?! This morning graced me with "Hungry Like the Wolf."


Yeah. Take this song however you want. It can be quite risque if you think too hard...but that's 1982 for you. It's just so darn catchy! 

And then there's the men of BYU's Vocal Point with the voices of angels, with the classic "Danny Boy" (a final verse added).


I could listen to this song for the rest of eternity and never get bored. "Danny Boy" has always been a favorite of mine since I was in an elementary school choir called "Nifty Notes." I sang this song over and over again for a few good months and for some reason, it stuck with me. I often have it playing on Sunday mornings or while I'm reading or doing homework. It's relaxing and a nice way to wind down and focus.

Another classic. REO Speedwagon. "Keep On Loving You"


Enough said.

Next up, Lifehouse's "Crash and Burn"


The chorus of this song is what I love the most:

 And if I fall and crash and burn
At least we both know that I tried
And as I crawl there's lessons learned
Yeah, they remind me I survived

This song is always there to pick me up if I fail. It reminds me to try no matter what. You never know what you can do it you don't try and there are amazing things to learn from failures as well.

Another strange selection: "Piano Man" by Billy Joel. Not entirely sure why I like it...


Another Billy Joel favorite: "Vienna." I first fell in love with this song when it was featured in the Jennifer Garner & Mark Ruffalo film 13 Going On 30. It's been somewhat of an anthem for me since.


Favorite lyrics are as follows:

Where's the fire? What's the hurry about?
You better cool it off before you burn it out.
You got so much to do and only so many hours in a day.

Slow down, you're doing fine.
You can't be everything you wanna be before your time

 Slow down, you crazy child.
Take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while.
It's all right you can afford to lose a day or two.
When will you realize Vienna waits for you?

And that takes us to the voice that is Jason Mraz, or Mr. A to Z if you prefer: "I Won't Give Up On Us."


Perfect lyrics. This is what I want. Someone like this song describes. And on another note, it reminds me that "God knows we're worth it," and He "knows I'm tough enough." Definitely a shower classic, this one! 

Another one similar to Mraz is "Arms" by Christina Perri. 



I hope that you see right through my walls
I hope that you catch me, 'cause I'm already falling
I'll never let a love get so close
You put your arms around me and I'm home

That says it for me. Exactly.

I'm not usually a fan of American Idol, but it produced another gem with Phillip Phillips (side note--why would you give your kid the same name as your last name?!?! whatever...). This song makes me think most about the USA women's gymnastics team at the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London. It was their theme song, and quickly became mine too.


Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons, they fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost you can always be found

Just know you're not alone
'Cause I'm gonna make this place your home


And finally (for this post at least--more to come), I leave you with Charlene Soraia and her rendition of "Wherever You Will Go."


No comments:

Post a Comment