Saturday, April 27, 2013

The End of An Era

Not too long ago, I was a high school senior, completely freaking out about what I was going to do after graduation. All my friends were quickly discovering where they were going to go to school, or intern, or work, or go into the military. Should I go to the typical Indiana high schooler's destination of Purdue or Indiana University? Or should I try for the private school a few of my close friends were planning on attending? Or should I completely leave behind everything I knew and start my own brand new adventure, stepping completely out of my box and comfort zone?

I honestly didn't think I'd end up where I am. And at the end of this fabulous era of my life, I take a look back on the past four years and find out why I am who I am, who got me here, who helped me along the way, and why I feel this path was especially paved for me.

It was on a whim that I decided to apply to Brigham Young University. I heard it was hard to get in academically, but I thought, "why not?!" But then, life got real. I became obsessed with this school. And the day I received my acceptance letter, I knew I was meant to go here. I wouldn't be as happy if I didn't go to BYU. So in June 2009, only about 15 days after my high school graduation, I took my two suitcases, a carry-on, my parents, and myself 1600 miles away from everything I knew.


The plan was to major in Art Education. My first three semesters at BYU were focused on making that dream come true. I took tons of general education courses and then the beginning art classes required before applying to the art majors. I learned some interesting things during these 3 semesters...

1. Art Education was NOT for me. So I gave Photography a try.

2. I cannot draw people's faces. I have no prayer of drawing a realistic face. But I can draw a fabulous still life.

3. Larry Nelson changed my life with his course on Human Development. And changed everything I thought about what I wanted to do in life.

4. Sometimes you just don't get what you want. Sometimes you realize what you thought you wanted, wasn't something you wanted at all. Sometimes life throws you curve balls. And it is completely okay to not know what you want or how to get it.


I officially changed my major to Family Studies with an emphasis in Child Life/Human Development in January of 2011. I finally felt completely comfortable with where I was headed. The classes all seemed to be at the perfect difficulty level--enough that I felt I was learning new things, but no so difficult as to make me feel stressed, studying 24/7. My Family Life professors--most notably, Larry Nelson, Jason Carroll, Sarah Coyne, and Chris Porter--taught me incredible lessons about life, about family, about social problems and solutions, and most importantly myself. Here's what I learned my junior year:

1. Stepping out of your comfort zone is actually quite easy.

2. You're never alone.

3. Roommates are not just random girls you live with, they were placed in your life for a reason.

4. One bad roommate is not the end of the world. There is something you can learn from everyone, you just have to look hard enough. I learned patience...and a lot of it.


Senior year flew by. Like seriously, I don't even know where it went! It feels like just yesterday that new roommates were moving in and I was getting to know my final group of undergrad roommates. Alyssa arrived first (Jessi & I were already there) and we bonded immediately over our admiration of Castle...and practically every other TV show on the planet. And then there was Kaitlyn, who deceived us by being extremely quiet in the beginning. When she finally broke out of her shell, I don't remember, but I'm so glad she did. She kills me...multiple times a day! Then Ashley and Madi moved in, our lone freshman roommates. Madi was soon replaced by Tiffany when she moved out to save money for her mission for the LDS church. We were quite the apartment. Those girls gave me some fabulous memories that I will cherish forever.

Graduation snuck up on me. All of a sudden my roommates were moving out and I was signing apartment contracts elsewhere. My bags were slowly being packed, my cap & gown was picked up, I received my first BYU Alumni t-shirt, and the day finally came when I walked across a stage in front of a thousand people. Here is what senior year taught me:

1. Go with the flow. It's okay if everything doesn't work out the way you planned in your head.

2. It's all worth it. Every little thing.

3. Friends save your life.

4. Document everything. You'll miss it.

5. Growing up is hard.

6. Becoming a Utah citizen & changing my license made a little piece of the Indiana Hoosier in me die just a bit :(

7. You may be separated by miles and oceans, but you're never apart.

8. I'm in desperate need of a hair cut.


I walked across the stage yesterday. And I had some of my greatest friends by my side as I did so. BYU has helped me forge incredible lifelong friendships. I'll never forget these people, all the things we did together, the long hours we endured, the play time, and the laughs. They were what made BYU such an amazing experience. Sure, the curriculum is amazing, the scenery is magnificent...but BYU would not be BYU without the incredible people. 

My parents & me

Me, Kelly, & Joseph

Chelsey and Me

Me & Jocelyn (we were in YW youth group together in high school and graduated together 5-6 years later in the same major)

 Amanda & Me

Me, Kelly, & Lynn (friends since freshman year)

I am a BYU alum.

There were a total of 6001 graduates this week--196 doctorates, 724 Masters, 5081 Bachelors--from 48 US states, 6 territories, & 69 foreign countries. The average age of graduates was 25.5 years (I am only 22) and the oldest graduate was 66 years old. 

Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles gave our commencement address. He spoke of physical & emotional health, personal worth, financial security, and spiritual strength. He taught us to "always make time for family, work, relaxation, and reflection." 


Sure, BYU is a world renowned private institution, sponsored & funded by the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's academics are nationally ranked close to Harvard & Yale. It's the nation's most stone cold sober university. It is all of those things and more. But what it really is, is home.

It gave me more than an education. It gave me light. It gave me hope. It gave me strength in trials. It taught me to never give up. It taught me that I can do more than I think I can. It taught me how to love Christ more fully, to understand Him, and follow Him. 

It is home to me.

I owe the last 4 years of my life to my parents who never failed to encourage me, to my professors who made classes fun as well as challenging, to my friends who put up with my quirks and love me anyway, and to Christ, as well as His gospel on the earth today.

Yesterday, I walked across a stage into a whole new world, into the unknown really. And I'm starting my journey right here in Provo, in a new apartment, with a couple new roommates, and a hand full of resumes. We'll see what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment