Saturday, April 6, 2013

Modest Female Superheroes!

I came across an article on Twitter this morning and was pleasantly surprised with it's content. Someone took the liberty of clothing the female superheroes and drawing them in a modest style...and in a style that is much more safe than a leotard for fighting and saving the world.

This is what the artist had to say:

"Point of this: An exercise in character design, attempting to clothe the heroines nearly all the way and not making them painted-on, while still keeping the look of their original costumes in some way. Hopefully keeping them looking as iconic as the originally were. Just showing what can be done with a costume breaking outside the barrier of the norm.
NOT the point of this: some moral code I’m trying to push on you."
So here are just a few of the drawings--Wonder Woman, Super Girl, and Elektra.




I think they're pretty fantastic! I've always wondered why female superheroes have to fight in skimpy skin tight leotards that expose them to so much more danger. Doesn't it make more sense to wear clothing that would actually protect you in a fight?! I think they're brilliant.

But unfortunately, the viewers of this man's art did not all agree with me. There were many comments that said, "That takes their sass away!" or "Too masculine!" 

But then there were comments that I was extremely happy to read: 

"Why do superheroes have to dress like hookers, anyway? What if we worried more about the stories and characters than how little clothing they could wear?"

I really appreciate this artist stepping out of the norm and creating strong super heroines that are modest. If only the rest of the entertainment world would catch on...

There was even a great quote in LDS General Conference this morning by Sister Elaine S. Dalton: "Media should enable and ennoble, rather than objectify and degrade women." 

2 comments:

  1. interesting!! But I still don't want to see a movie about them, if they are in it? Fine. haha But I agree the skimpy outfits I always wondered how the crap nothing fell out!!! Keep them modest it makes them look awesome and tough! I'd rather have these ones save me if I saw a skimpy one I'd be like you know what? I'll just die or wait and see if Thor, Spiderman, Captain America, Iron Man, Superman, or Batman come!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha this is awesome! Yeah, their skanky costumes are so impractical.

    ReplyDelete