Monday, January 28, 2013

My TV Childhood

To this day, I believe that my generation grew up with the best of television, from Barney to Disney Channel, it was all fabulous. We talked a lot in the past week about programming for young children, so I thought I'd take a look back in time and reminisce about my favorite TV programs growing up!


Up first, Book Mice! I have never heard of ANYONE else ever watching this show. EVER! Which is such a shame, because I thought it was incredible! And I'm not ashamed to admit that I watched some old episodes of it while writing this very blog post...It is a Canadian TV program aimed at preschool children that only ran from 1991-1992. Book Mice follows Norbert, Zazzy, and Leon, the mice who live in the library and roam around it at night. I have no idea what channel I used to watch this on or how my mother found it in the first place, but it's a classic for me!



 



Next, we have The Elephant Show, a Sharon, Lois, and Bram production. It ran from 1984-1988, just a few years before my time. I don't remember much about this show at all...except they were always singing and there was a massive elephant-costumed person...I suspect that show is why I am so in love with elephants.








Third, Barney. This big purple dinosaur has always been a favorite of mine. I was so in love with Barney that I would watch the Christmas film "Barney & The Backyard Gang: Waiting For Santa" (1990) every single winter up into high school on VHS. It was my favorite movie. "Three Wishes" was also a favorite Barney movie. Barney taught kids how to be friends and how to act around others. I think it may be one of the most brilliant shows I've ever seen. If you're in the mood for some nostalgia, watch for a little while, it'll make you smile.




Barney has always meant a lot to me. This little guy right here? I've had him since I was tiny tiny tiny. I think my grandma gave him to me and although he is not Barney brand, he looked enough like him that he became Barney to me :) So this tiny stuffed animal has made the journey all the way from home to college, and currently resides on my window sill in my apartment. I couldn't not take him with me! You'll notice he only has one arm. His other arm is sitting in my dresser at home....I may have gotten very enthusiastic while playing with him...we always meant to sew his arm back on, but alas it never happened. I like him better this way.





"Barney can be your friend to, if you just make believe him."

Next up, The Big Comfy Couch. I loved this show so much that my parents almost painted a massive clock on my floor. 




And then there was the classic Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. I totally wanted to be his neighbor. He had a train! 


Ah yes, Captain Kangaroo. I don't remember a darn thing about this show, except that I watched it! But I had to include it none the less! 

 
So that's that. I loved growing up with these shows, and I will defend them until the day I die! In my opinion, they are so much better than what is on TV today. 

And don't even get me started on the terrible shows for pre-teens and teens these days (i.e. JONAS and Sonny with a Chance and Wizards of Waverly Place)--however, I do understand that my tastes have changed since my early teen years. I grew up with the fabulousness of The Amanda Show, Boy Meets World, Brotherly Love, Even Stevens, That's So Raven, and Lizzie McGuire.  Good times.

So what shows did you grow up with???


2 comments:

  1. Okay, besides Barney and Mr. Rogers I haven't heard of almost any of these!! Sounds good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, maybe I didn't watch too many kid shows because I not recognize any of these except Barney and Mr. Rogers. I did quite enjoy Sesame Street though, Big BIrd, Snuffy, and Elmo were always my favorite. I remember having giggling Elmo slippers. And Cookie Monster is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete