Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Tough Time of Year: Hiatus

This is an extremely tough time of year for me. Yes, it is May, which means all of my TV shows are ending until September, as long as they got renewed, that is.

For the most part, I'm a happy gal with all but two of my shows returning in the fall.

And while I've still got quite a few shows that have yet to air their finales, Castle's season 5 finale graced my television last night. And boy, was it a doozy!

With a title like "Watershed," we knew it would be a hard episode to swallow. "Watershed," according to its dictionary definition, means "an event or period marking a turning point in a course of action or state of affairs." And the choice was there--a job with the FBI based in Washington DC or her life with Castle in New York. The episode's cliffhanger was just that....we still don't know her final decision.

So here's what I thought of the episode...


First, anytime Papa Beckett makes an appearance, I'm a happy viewer! I just loved Scott Paulin as Jim. He is always such an amazing voice of reason for Kate, always giving her encouragement and letting her know that her mother would be proud of her. So glad that they brought him in for the finale!


Second, these two are just too much. I love how much Ryan & Esposito love Kate, they're her loving and protective brothers. They really shined in the aspect of having her back "till the wheels fall off." My favorite scene with them last night? In the nasty laundry room of the SRO, discussing pregnancy. It was brilliant. Espo was so adamant and appalled to think of Kate pregnant but so darn happy for Baby Ryan on the way!


Third, the swings. Cue me melting into a puddle of mush. The first time this couple visited the swingset was almost 2 years ago, when Kate came back to Rick after her shooting, pleading with him (subtextually) to wait for her to be ready for a relationship. And then a year ago, Kate visited the swingset again, in the rain, before going to Rick and finally starting their relationship. And now, swings yet again! Everything important in their relationship happens at the swings, which I find just oh so poetic! Which leads me to number four...


Yep, Castle popped the question to Kate! Out of nowhere! On the swings! Using her full name! I can't contain myself! I have tons of theories as to what she's going to say (yep that was the cliffhanger so we must wait until September...), but I have no idea where showrunner Andrew Marlowe will take this. He is constantly surprising me and beating out anything and everything imagined in the FanFiction world. It wasn't the "ideal" proposal we as fans have been imagining, but it has so many layers, that I'm sure I have yet to explore and realize. I am just extremely happy that it wasn't an ultimatum, he clearly said, "no matter what happens and no matter what [she] choose[s]."

So now I'm left waiting and wondering for another 124 days or so until the season 6 premiere...

************

And because I am obsessed (and this is NOT the first thing I've been obsessed with), I thought this blurb I found on Tumblr awhile back was fitting for the fandom...ALL the fandoms!

"There's going to come a day when we've all grown up, had a career, maybe got married and had kids, when we're all going about our daily routine. Maybe you're driving to work with the car radio on, or you're making dinner with the TV on in the lounge. Life as usual, and then we hear a name. It's the name of the person you had a blog dedicated to when you were 16. The person you had posters of up on your bedroom wall, or as your desktop background. The person off that show you used to watch every week, as soon as it came out, or that band you used to love. The person from the cast of a movie that changed your life, or the character who you scrolled through page after page of fanfiction of. You haven't heard that name in a long time, and it brings everything back. And then the name is followed by three words you thought you'd never hear.
Has Passed Away.
And then you put down the potato peeler and lean back against your kitchen bench, or you pull over to the side of the road, and tears are streaming down your face. And all over the world, there are people who used to be just like you, with tears marking their cheeks and sobs forcing their way out of their throat, because they remember.
Because fandoms never really die out. We never really move on. We never really forget."

No comments:

Post a Comment